Preparing For Your Study
IT IS IMPORTANT TO PRINT THIS PAGE AND REVIEW SEVERAL DAYS BEFORE YOUR SCAN, AS WELL AS 24 HOURS BEFORE. THIS PAGE IS ALSO INCLUDED IN YOUR ORIGINAL PAPERWORK EITHER WITH OUR ON-LINE CASE HISTORY FORM OR WHEN MAILED TO YOU.
Thermology is an evaluation of the levels, patterns and behavior of the skin’s temperature. To achieve a meaningful evaluation, you should avoid conditions that would cause artificial influences. Please fill out your patient history forms prior to your appointment and contact our office with any questions you might have that are not covered here.
1. Unless specifically instructed by your physician, you should wait at least three (3) months after any form of breast surgery (including biopsy), the completion of chemotherapy or radiation before your study.
2. You should avoid any natural or artificial tanning of your chest for three (3) days prior to your study.
3. You must avoid any vigorous physical stimulation, examination or compression of the breasts (self or clinical examination, ultrasound or mammogram) for at least three (3) days prior to your study.
4. You must not have had significant fevers (102° or more) within thirty-six (36) hours of your study or have any level of fever on the day of your study.
5. You should refrain from a sauna, steamroom or hot/cold packs in contact with your breasts for at least twenty-four (24) hours prior to your study.
6. There should be no new bruising, rashes or skin irritaiton on your breasts or underarms on the day of your study.
7. You should not use any skin creams, lotions, deodorants or powders that may cause inflammation on your breasts or underarms on the day of your study. (Note from Adelpha Thermography: Deodorants may be used as long as you are not susceptible to inflammation from them.)
8. With your physician's permission, please do not use the following medications for twelve (12) hours prior to your study: niacin or niacin patch (500 milligrams or more), nitroglycerin or any migraine medication.
9. You should avoid any tobacco use or caffeinated coffee or tea consumption for two (2) hours prior to your study.
10. You should avoid vigorous exercise, bathing or showering for one (1) hour prior to your study.
11. If you are breast-feeding, please empty your breasts 30-60 minutes prior to your study.
12. You may wear any small necklaces as long as they do not touch your breasts.
13. Long hair should be worn up or pulled back off your shoulders.
14. For your comfort, we recommend you wear a blouse and pants or skirt to your study.
This may seem like a lengthy list of conditions to avoid. However, we have determined that each of them has the potential to decrease the reliability of your study. Please contact us to reschedule your appointment if you have compromised these conditions. We would rather reschedule you to another appointment date than redo your study. Be sure to bring your completed case history forms given or mailed to you to your appointment.
You will receive your case history form, privacy statement and preparing for a study form in the mail after making your appointment.
** Again, please complete your patient history form(s) prior to your appointment and remember to bring them with you.
reproduced with permission Therna-Scan Reference Laboratory